Monday, October 4, 2010

Mine




















Okay, side by side mine isn't as cute, but I still really like it. Also, please overlook the way I'm standing. I don't know how to pose for pictures. Also, I cut my head off because I'm too vain to post on the internet how I look at the end of the day.

I bought a long-sleeve t-shirt, cut off the sleeves, made long strips of ruffles from the sleeves, and sewed them onto the shirt. It's quite simple and something I've tried before. For that reason I feel like I took it too safe with this challenge. I had plans to buy some interesting and fun stuff at Dongdaemun to embellish a t-shirt with, but when I went at night it was closed. So, don't go there at night. Someone told me the hours are 9-5ish. I can't guarantee the closing time, but I was there at about 8 p.m. and it was dark and empty. I've always gone in the morning before at about 10 a.m.

I also made the shirt a little more fitted in the sleeve and sides. This shirt is 95% modal (which is "essentially a variety of rayon" according to wikipedia, and as you know wikipedia can be written by anyone so it has to be true) and 5% spandex. So it's a slick fabric, if that's the right word. When I cut the sleeves I kept getting a v shape on the top of the arm, which I tried to fix and never could. I decided I liked it and left it. I also didn't hem the sleeves because 1) I was feeling lazy 2) I like the raw edge look sometimes. I tell myself that the raw edge of the sleeve goes well with the raw edge of the ruffles.

I have more shirts that I'm going to ruffle or otherwise continue to embellish. I know we've moved on to another challenge, but I may still share with you my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment