Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I can't remember when I first learned how to use a sewing machine, but I was young. My grandma taught me on her vintage Singer - the kind with a pedal foot or treadle. I am extremely jealous of my aunt, who got that machine when my Grandma passed away;) The very first thing that she taught me to make was an apron. Here's a picture of my youngest daughter wearing it (yes, I still have it!)


I don't remember making much after that....actually, I don't remember making anything until I took a sewing class in college. This class did me NO GOOD. The apron I made as a child was far superior to anything that came out of this class. But after the class I made a stuffed rabbit, complete with dress, pinefore, and bloomers, and it was good enough that it restored my confidence. When I had my first baby I bought my first sewing machine and went crazy. Nothing I made was terribly great, but I did have fun, and I was extremely proud of the blessing dress I made for her.

I used an old brides-maid dress that I had for the material. I had a dress pattern, but I only used it as a basic idea. I added the medieval-style sleeves and ribbons, and I love it. Since then I have sewn on and off, sometimes following a pattern, sometimes making it up as I go along. The last thing I made was this jumper/dress for myself...

...which I actually wear:) I am excited about being in this group and expanding my horizens. I've been busy lately (no, really, I have), so I didn't do the embelishment challenge, but I'll try to get my stuff together to do this months challenge. Happy now, Kimberly?:)

1 comment: